Here are the modules (topics) covered in this class:
Overview of the class.
- Professional persona
Creating a professional portfolio and other online presences.
- Integrated Development Environments
The importance of IDEs, introduction to Eclipse.
- Coding Standards
Why coding standards support quality; The Elements of Java Style.
- Java Coding
Simple Java coding exercises to practice Eclipse and coding standards.
- UI basics (HTML/CSS)
A quick overview of web user interfaces and Cascading Style Sheets.
- UI frameworks (Twitter Bootstrap)
Twitter Bootstrap 3 for responsive user interface design.
- Web Application Frameworks (Play)
Introduction to web application frameworks, focusing on Play.
- Cloud-based hosting (GitHub)
Supporting group-based software development using git and GitHub.
- Dynamic Web Applications, Part 1
Introduction to using templates and models to support dynamic pages.
- Dynamic Web Applications, Part 2
More sophisticated use of templates and models.
- Cloud-based deployment (CloudBees)
Deploying web applications to the cloud, focusing on CloudBees.
- Rapid Application Mockup Development (Eclipse, TB, Play, Github, CloudBees)
Putting your skills to work: rapid development of a web application
- Authorization and authentication
Basic concepts of login and page access control.
- Model design (ER Diagrams, LucidCharts)
Creating ER diagrams to model your persistent storage.
- Model Implementation (JPA, MySQL)
Using JPA to implement the model.
- Testing (JUnit)
Designing, implementing, and running integration tests.
- Final Project
Putting it all together with a real-world application.
For the dates associated with these topics, see the Calendar.